Khaman Dhokla Recipe
- 02 April 2022,
- 9:23 PM
SUMMARY: Khaman Dhokla is a spongy, soft tangy-sweet snack made from flour or semolina. It is a culinary dish of Gujarat and also made with a fermented batter derived from chickpeas or rice. It is served and enjoyed as a teatime snack, breakfast snack or even as a main course. Dhokla is also similar to Khaman, which is made from chickpeas and its yellow. Traditionally, Dhokla and Khaman are separate dishes from Gujarati cuisine. Khaman is made using Gram Flour, whereas Dhokla is made using fermented rice and lentil batter. You can read the Khaman Dhokla Recipe here at inligting.com that will help you make it perfectly soft, fluffy, spongy and delicious. An important point to note is that consistency of the batter is essential for a spongy khaman dhokla. With less amount of water, it will become dense and crumbly.
- Chef: Gaurav Garg
- Category: Snacks
- Cuisine: Indian
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 30 Min
- Servings: 4-5 peaces
- Nutrition: 266 Calories per peace
Ingredients of Khaman Dhokla :
- 1 tbsp semonila
- 1 cup gram flour
- 1 tsp Eno fruit salt
- 1 ½ tsp lemon juice
- ¼ cup curd
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 tsp oil
- ½ tsp salt
- Grated coconut
- Chopped coriander seeds
- Boil water
How to make Khaman Dhokla
Step 1: Heat Oil in Pan
Take a small sized pan and put it on low flame. Then add about 2 tablespoons in the pan and heat it.
Step 2: Ad mustard seeds
Mustard seeds or sarason ke beej have good anti-inflammatory properties and contain antioxidants. You should add 1 tablespoon of mustard seeds in the oil.
Step 3: Add Ingredients
Wait until the seeds start to crackle in the pan. After this, add a few ingredients like cumin seed, curry leaves (10 in number), and 1 green chilly (after chopping).
Step 4: Fry Ingredients
This is an important step in the making of Khaman Dhokla. Ensure to fry the mixture in the pan and keep stirring it. Then, add 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds.
Step 5: Add Water
Add ½ cup water to the pan. Be careful in this step as addition of water might result in extra smoke.
Step 6: Add Sugar
Now you should add sugar. The quantity of the sugar is dependent on your taste, however as a standard it is recommended to add 2 tablespoon sugar.
Step 7: Stir Mixture
Use a wooden stirrer with a long handle to stir all the mixture in the pan until it starts to boil.
Step 8: Pour it
When the boiling is done, take the entire mixture and pour it onto the dhokla. Wait for some time so that the mix seeps into it.
Step 9: Garnish with coconut and coriander seeds
Now it’s time to garnish your khaman dhokla. For the garnishing purpose, use 2 tablespoons of grated coconut along with 2 tablespoons of coriander seeds.
Khaman dhokla recipe: With this easy step-by-step process, you will learn to prepare an amazingly soft and spongy dhokla. Checkout the basic instructions and methods of making this Gujrati dish. You can use Khaman Dhokla Recipe for the steaming process as well as for microwaving.
- Grease the pan with ½ tsp of oil
- Mix 1.5 cup flour in a bowl
- Add pinch of turmeric, lime juice, chillies and salt
- Add 1 cup of water to the mix and stir
- Add 1 tbsp semolina and stir to a thick smooth batter
- Add Eno or fruit salt and stir briskly and quickly
- Pour the mixed content into the greased pan
Method: By Steaming
- Place the pan in a boiling water steamer or pressure cooker. While using a pressure, make sure to remove its whistle and cover tight
- Steam for 15-20 mins on medium-high flame
- The Khanam is now ready, to check its doneness, use a toothpick and if it comes out clean its done, otherwise steam it some more time
- When it’s ready, gently slid along the edges and turn the pan on the plate upside down
- Slice it and its ready to be served!
Method 2: In Microwave
- Grease microwave bowl and add the batter into the bowl
- Cover its lid
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes
- Use a toothpick to check its doneness and give it seconds more if it’s not ready.
Dhokla Recipe Video